"being of such surpassing excellence as to suggest inspiration by the gods"
Elysian Bengals is a TICA registered, Natural Rearing cattery located in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina surrounded by breath taking views and fresh air! Our cattery was expertly designed with our cats in mind. We wanted a space that was open, clean and full of natural sunlight. We are a cat free cattery which includes our nursing and delivery suites and condos for our boys. All other spaces are large open rooms or our home. We are always renovating and improving as we think of new ideas to make the space the best it can be for our beloved cats and kittens.
Bengals are extremely intelligent and need enrichment to prevent boredom so we make sure the cattery and the house is equipped with lots of cat trees, climbing structures, wheels, and toys modeled after Jackson Galaxy's Catification concepts as well as supply them with tons of music and other enriching stimulation. We even carefully planned and placed bird feeders and other nature-friendly meeting places outside cattery windows so our Bengals have constant access to quality Kitty TV!
If you would like to visit our cattery, please keep in mind that this is limited and we have strict policies in place to ensure the health of our cats and kittens.
Elysian Bengals is a Closed Cattery. There are many reasons we have made this hard decision. We understand this may seem strange for some searching pet owners, but this decision was thoroughly thought through. We hope the following will give you some insight and ease your concerns as to why we made this decision:
1. Our cattery is physically in our home so while this is a business of sorts and we don't have kids (yet) this is our home so that is first and foremost important.
2. We live 3000 feet in the mountains in the middle of no where so getting to our cattery can be difficult (the windy roads can be nauseating and many GPSs can’t find out location.
3. Illness and disease can spread fast. While you can control the cats you bring in through testing (PCR, screenings, blood tests, exams etc.) that is much harder with potential families and their pets. If they have visited a shelter recently or rescue that can also bring in unwanted illness and disease that could very heavily affect newborns for example
4. We socialize extensively but when hormones are involved in, pregnant moms and their babies could be extremely stressed out even if they only can hear new people in the home.
5. There unfortunately are many new reports of robbery, threats, staking, murder of cattery, kennels and breeders over various situations for various reasons. We personally don't want to take these risks.
That being said transparency is still really important to us. We take pictures weekly and provide weekly live videos in our home (so you see most of it anyway) We also do facetime tours and meetings and phone calls. We are also willing to meet people at a mutual location to see a kitten or kittens when they are 10 weeks old etc.
It's important to know that not all breeders that are closed catteries are shady or trying to hide something. Most are just trying to keep their families and their cats safe.
It should be noted we do not provide stud services. We do not allow outside cats into our cattery nor send out our cats to breed.
We are happy to provide plenty of pictures, video walkthrough, skype sessions and answer any questions you may have about us, the cattery or the cats and kittens in attempt to not only be transparent, but to keep our cats and kittens free from illness and disease as well as other unforeseen issue.